What are the best small business ideas for college students to start with no money? Are you an enterprising student and want to start a business in school? Do you want to graduate from school without ever having to look for a job or depend on the government? Then below are the best business ideas for college students.
With the increasing costs of tuition and other fees in schools and colleges, it’s now becoming more than important for college bound students or those already in college to start a business. Before now, college students can easily get part-time jobs.
But due to the bad global economy, there are now fewer jobs, stiffer competition, automation with technology, and constant changes within corporations. So, the key is to accept the new economic reality and prepare to survive even in the face of harsh conditions.
However, you can still live comfortably and achieve great career accomplishments if you make the right strategic moves. Launching a business while in college will set you up for success and responsibility. There are many unique startup business ideas for students that can turn out to be profitable ventures later on. It may begin with the young and enterprising person’s passion for something.
Whether it’s computer games, gourmet sandwiches or special home-baked goodies, cute accessories, gadgets or sports equipment (the list goes on), there’s bound to be something that can appeal young people looking to make big bucks. So without wasting your time, below are profitable business ideas that you can start as a college student:
Top 10+ Low Cost Small Business ideas for College Students
If your parent has an old car that has been abandoned for a long time, you can fix it and start a micro transport service. Chances are your fellow students need transportation to and from campus. And most of the time, the transport arrangements by school authorities are not very good.
So, your college colleagues would be willing to pay you to transport them. They will prefer your services to that of the college because yours will save their time and provide more comfort and flexibility.
As a college student, chances are you are particularly good in one or two subjects. You’ll make a lot of money by offering to teach others who are having problems with those subjects — most especially if they are very important subjects that students must pass before promotion or graduation.
3. Career counseling
If you have good communication skills, you can meet the recruiters and employers in the on-campus career center to learn what they are looking for in job applicants. Then you can become a career coach and counselor simply by leaking these secrets to other students.
4. Sports training service
If you are a good athlete and sportsman, think about starting a personal sports training service aimed at teaching fellow students who are interested in becoming skilled sportsmen like you. You can use either an on-campus facility or a local fitness facility off campus.
Most college students love partying. So, you can make decent income if you know how promote parties and get the best deejays and party people to events. You can also organize shows involving celebrity singers and entertainers.
6. On-boarding services for international students
If your college admits students from other countries that have never lived in your country for long, you can start an on-boarding service for international students. Such students find the campus environment overwhelming, and they may have a hard time blending with the new system.
If you are compassionate, and you enjoy meeting new people, you can set up a hospitality or familiarization program for international students. You can either collaborate with the office of students’ affairs in your school or run your business independently.
7. Graphics arts design services
If you have a knack for creative design and you are very good at it, you can start a graphics design business. You can offer your services for both students and college professors who want to beautify their research and reports as well as their presentations. You can also make additional income by designing banners for events and occasions in your college and by designing creating greeting cards for birthdays and holidays.
If you are very good with words, then you can start a freelance writing service. This would involve handling writing assignments for clients — not fellow students, because this is unethical and against the rules in virtually all schools and colleges. You can hook up with clients over the internet by registering an account with freelance outsourcing sites.
You can start a blog for marketing your writing services and promote your business in online forums and via social media. Writing assignments that you’ll be handling for clients include articles, blog posts, ebooks, sales copies, press releases, business proposals, and so on.
If you love dogs and other pets, you can start a dog walking service. If some of your colleagues come to school with their pets (though this is not allowed in most schools), you can advertise your services to them. Before starting, consult a professional vet to get tips on how to care for dogs and other animals.
You can start rendering your services as a hair stylist or professional barber. Everyone loves to look good, and good hair care is one of those factors that improve one’s overall appearance. So, you will make a lot of cash off of your colleagues by starting this business.
More Small Business Ideas for College Students to Start Without Money
Working class mums always need babysitters to take care of their children while they work or attend to their businesses. You can cash in on this opportunity by becoming a baby sitter and earning extra income to support yourself through college.
12. Event planning
There are series of campus events from student parties to award nights, matriculations and convocations. You can offer your services and help in planning such events and get paid for it.
Although starting up might be challenging as you will need to be able to convince sponsors that you can handle the job perfectly. You can offer to do the first few jobs for free and start charging when you have proven yourself to be an excellent event planner.
As a student, you can also make money from cleaning other people’s homes or offices. Most people are often too busy to clean their homes or offices themselves so they simply outsource these services to other people. You can take out few hours daily from studying and get cleaning jobs to help you earn extra income.
14. Fitness Trainer
Our society has made keeping fit a necessity and many people are looking for ways to keep fit daily. Not many people have the time to visit a gymnasium and would gladly pay for a personal fitness instructor to come into their homes and train them instead. If you are someone who is passionate about sports, you can become a fitness trainer and earn decent income from it.
15. Pet Grooming: Everyone loves a clean and nice smelling pet but most people either do not know how to groom their pets or simply do not like doing these themselves. You can become a pet groomer and make extra income from it. You will be required to bathe the pets, trim their hair and sometimes take them out for fresh air and exercise.
Students love to capture beautiful moments in photos and there are chances of making good money if you are a very good photographer. You can also record live campus events on video tapes and sell them for a fee.
17. Master of Ceremonies (MC): You can also become an MC and anchor campus and off-campus events and parties.
18. Food Delivery: As a student, you can make money as a part-time chef or by making pre-packaged meals and selling them to fellow students.
19. Sewing-: You can make good money from helping students mend their clothes.
20. Dance and Music Classes: If you are really good at dancing or play any musical instrument well, you can become a music or dance instructor.
21. Gardening: Do you love gardening, trimming lawns and beautifying homes? A lot of people wouldn’t mind paying you to help them keep their homes and gardens beautiful.
22. Buying and selling stuff online has become one of the big money-earners in the digital age. The challenge comes in offering something unique or which stands out from other product offerings in the marketplace.
23. Cute and unique gift items presented in a website can sell like hotcakes especially during seasons like Christmas and Valentine. Reasonably priced cupcakes with creative designs can likewise capture the attention of pastry lovers or food gift buyers browsing the web.
24. Computer enthusiasts who use the Internet for research, emailing, and playing online games may find huge appeal in taking part in a business like testing new games and providing feedback on the games.
25. Making personalized invitations for occasions like baptisms, bachelorette parties, birthdays and special events may also turn out to be a money earner for students.
26. Students can also usually find making websites, writing and posting blogs about places they have been to or products they have tried a good way to earn money. It does not take a genius to try out and succeed in these unique business ideas for students.
27. Other creative ways for college students to make money and enjoy themselves in the process; depending on their hobbies and interests are arranging/mixing songs (which require initial investment on equipment); offering photography services with background design and CDs; and making beaded jewelry.
28. Indeed, students have many ideas on cool stuff they can sell that other kids would love to purchase. For some students who know where to source goods like slippers/sandals with a design twist, cute kiddie costumes or teen apparel.
29. Students can also choose among the reputable affiliate marketing programs online that sell products; then they can allot time to learn details about products the affiliate companies sell, like jewelry, supplements, apparel, gadgets, home wares.
30. Another business idea for students is using a leading e-commerce site to sell goods. What young enterprising individuals need to do is simply take good photos of the products they intend to sell and post these online, along with a concise product description so that potential buyers can bid on them. Careful judgment must be used though, when dealing with online customers as there are individuals who are not really serious about buying but keep bidding.
In conclusion, I want you to know that some unique small business ideas for students may be inspired by existing products in the marketplace. Take for instance milk teas, which now come in various delicious flavors and are snapped up by beverage loving customers.
Most small business ideas that start out small end up churning out huge profits, and the best thing about such businesses is that youngsters can manage them from the comforts of their homes or neighborhood.